Tuesday 4 March 2014

Hard work pays dividends

Our most successful graduates acknowledge that hard work at university usually pays off further down the road.

Brian Kay and Danny Maynard both came through our Sports Coaching programme and are now making progress on their respective career paths.

After graduating Brian undertook a PGCE while gaining experience as a Community Sports Coach and a Trainee Teacher.

He subsequently secured a position with Wigan Athletic Community Trust as a Project Manager/Teacher, before progressing into the role of Academy Education Officer with the club.

Brain admits he wouldn’t be where is today if he hadn't fully committed to his degree: "It's vital to think about your study route and how it will apply to what you want to do. Throughout my time at UCLan I made a point of trying to get myself known by volunteering to coach across a variety of sports.

"It's important to try and be different and to keep your options open. I've gone from coaching onto managing programmes and I now plan, deliver and evaluate education programmes within the Academy department at Wigan.

"I've also made a point of being cheeky by applying for jobs I knew I probably wouldn't get. Even if you're lacking a necessary qualification to get the role, the feedback you receive can prove invaluable."

Danny is studying his PGCE and combines this with his role as Head Coach of Blackburn Harriers Athletics Club. He echoed many of Brian's comments.

"I've done my utmost to get my name about, to network and to learn from other people. From working at Bolton Arena on children's parties, to getting some work experience in a school; it all helps on your CV.

"Postgraduate study is hard work and you have to be fully committed, but hopefully it will lead me into the industry. The best advice I can give new or current students is not to wait for things to come to you – get out there and make it happen."

No comments:

Post a Comment